New IP Policy effective Jan. 10, 2018
A simplified University of Maryland Intellectual Property (IP) Policy went into effect on Jan. 10, 2018.
Key features of the new policy are summarized below:
- The policy now includes all UMD personnel.
- The new policy includes the term “Traditional Scholarly Works,” which states the creator owns the copyright whether the work is delivered on-line or in face-to-face-settings, except in certain situations.
- On-line courses are treated the same as any other copyrighted materials.
- Software is now included in the patent/invention section of the IP policy, as this section best reflects U.S. regulations of software.
- The revenue sharing process has been simplified to increase benefit to the inventor(s).
For a full copy of the policy, see:
For more information on revenue sharing under the current and former policies, see:
Please contact OTC with questions.
Did You Know
UMD's Neutral Buoyancy Research Facility, which simulates weightlessness, is one of only two such facilities in the U.S.